Monday, August 2, 2010

The BSDDG

Last week most of my years English speeches were due. I had to do mine on the second day, but a few of my friends didn't. So now I can happily watch everyone else stress over my first ever topic. The other day I was considering what actually makes up the art of Procrastination! (dramatic music!!) and I think I've narrowed it down to five points, that I will not officially name, BSDDG!!!
OK so now I think I'll break it down for you.

1. Boredom:
I'm pretty sure everyone knows the feeling when they know they have something they need to get done, be it homework, chores, music practice, speeches or anything else that needs prior planing and work. Well that's what starts it all off, when you know you need to get it done, but you really don't want to start. That or you have no idea where to start. Now for this first step to usually take place, the due date for said thing is usually a fair way off, be it not till the end of the week, or that you have the whole weekend to get it done, and it's only Saturday.

2. Stalling:
With this feeling of time your constant companion, you getting started off for just a moment, while you say, look up something your friend sent you, or post a certain blog. You may do this several times and only take a few minutes, maybe ten to twenty, possibly longer. But who cares? You still have all day!

3. Discovery:
Now this is when things get interesting. It's when, after only a short time of Stalling, you come across something genuinely interesting! Be it a sight devoted to awesome pictures, or funny points about the problems of all the Pokemon games (yes, Pokemon deserves a capital as it is awesome). So you begin looking into it, slowly becoming immersed in either gathering every single picture you like to complete sets that you've made up yourself (a particular example I can think off, is trying to collect a specific artists depiction of what every single Pokemon would look like if human. That means all 493. Well that was the number at the time, but now thanks to the new generation there are over 500) or simply finding it so much fun to read them all, you loose track of time. Note: Most of the Discoveries I am referring to are Internet related, but this is not always the case, it also includes a book you suddenly find while cleaning your room, or anything else you can think off.

4. Denial:
By this time, hours have passed, and you've barely noticed. You suddenly glance at a clock to discover that most of the day is gone. Suddenly you realise you've waisted most of your day doing something you didn't even want to do. At this point one either accepts they've just waisted their day, or they try to reason with themselves that they actually wanted to do that. In either case, one usually then tries to actually do some work. In some cases you actually succeed and my last point no longer seems relevant, but in most of my experience, you're mind-frame has gotten so used to whatever you were doing beforehand, that you keep finding yourself slipping back to it, the whole time either fighting it, or telling yourself that it's OK, just one more. And so, no work gets done that day.

5. Guilt:
The final, and most unpleasant part of the process. It's the feeling you get a 11 at night when you realise that you've just waisted you're whole day. Most of the time you were planning of doing something after the work was done, but since you spent the whole time Procrastinating you didn't even do that. Meaning you've just spent the most pointless day possible. The guilt also drifts into the possible later panic one gets when they are trying to write a whole speech the day before you have to actually give it, or just before a music exam (the reason I never want to sign up for one again).

And so, dear reader, I give you my five steps to Procrastination. Hope you enjoyed, and perhaps it will teach you a think or two about not doing it. Though I have found, over my years of life, that I actually do a pretty good job of writing most of an essay at 11 the night before it's due. I do not however like cramming. Don't do it, I hate it. Though it may work for you, I find it distracts from the facts you already know (it helps to have some facts though. If you don't, by all means cram.).

Well, see ya! Peanut!

No comments:

Post a Comment